Temporary Importing of Firearms in South Africa
You are required to complete the SAP 520 form when applying for the temporary importation of firearms. Download the SAPS 520 form here. Instructions on how to complete the SAPS 520 form can be downloaded here
Instructions on Completing the Form
- Use black ink on the form.
- Leave the form unsigned until finalised in front of a police officer.
- The following documents must accompany the SAP 520 form:
- Return airline ticket
- Proof of ownership
- Firearm licenses, documentary proof etc. For USA citizens an officially stamped Customs
- Declaration Form 4457, is essential.
- Proof of export
- Note: Clients must obtain documentation for the legal export of firearms from an official government institution (police or customs). This must be written in English and state the following:
"It is hereby certified that the owner of the firearm(s) M (state particulars) with calibre (state calbre), serial number (state the serial number) and type (state type of weapon) is hereby authorised to temporarily export the above firearm(s) from country (state country)."
- Invitation letter from the hunting outfitter
This letter must be written on an official letterhead of the hunting outfitter/company and conform with certain specifications.
- Note: Firearms will be physically inspected to ensure that the serial number(s) match those of the licenses (proof of ownership) and the application form. Ammunition will also be inspected.